"Interactive Try-On Platform for Eyeglasses"
This issued patent relates to a method by which a consumer can submit a 3D model of his/her face to generate a visualization of how a pair of eyeglasses may fit.
BASIC PATENT DATA:
- Patent Number: US 7,016,824
- Assignee: Geometrix, Inc.
- Prior Art Cutoff Date: Prior art must predate February 6, 2001
Techniques and systems that provide interactions between a 3D representation of a selected pair of glasses and a fully-textured 3D face model are disclosed. According to one embodiment, an interactive platform is displayed to allow a user to select a pair of glasses and try the selected glasses on a user-provided 3D face model. The interactions provided in the platform include spatial adjustments of the glasses around the face model, various perspective views of the 3D face with the glasses on and other cosmetic alternations to the selected glasses. According to one application, when the user finishes the try-on process, the information about the glasses can be transmitted to a business that can subsequently produce a pair of customized glasses for the user.
Claim 1: A method for commercializing pairs of eyeglasses over a network, the method comprising:
- providing an interactive platform that can be displayed on a computing device;
- requesting a 3D face model from a user to be used in the interactive platform;
- determining characteristics of the 3D face model with respect to a 3D reference frame;
- retrieving a 3D representation of a pair of eyeglasses when a request identifying the pair of eyeglasses is received over the network; and
- placing the 3D representation of the glasses onto a default position with respect to the 3D face model in accordance with the characteristics thereof.
REASON FOR ALLOWANCE: The following is an excerpt of the Examiner's Statement of Reasons for the indication of allowable subject matter.
The instant application is directed to a non-obvious improvement over the invention described in U.S. Patent No. 5,983,201 to Fay, the improvement comprising a method for commercializing pairs of eyeglasses over a network, wherein a 3D face model is requested by a user via an interactive platform, characteristics of a 3D face model are determined with respect to a 3D reference frame, and a 3D representation of a pair of eyeglasses is retrieved and placed onto a default position with respect to the 3D face model.
REPRESENTATIVE PRIOR ART: The following is a list of prior art that we are already aware of (in addition to the prior art identified on the face of this patent under the References Cited):
- WO 01/11886 A1
- WO 97/29441 A1
- US 5,175,806
- EP 1 011 006
- AU 1 334 097
- JP 9-145324
- WO 95/04975
- US 6,034,698
- WO 86/05374
- JP 10-283455
- KR 2001-0008011
- “Automatic construction of 3D human face models based on 2D images”, PROCEEDINGS OF THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON IMAGE PROCESSING (ICIP) LAUSANNE, 16-19 September 1996, pp. 467-470.
QUESTION: Have you seen anything (published before February 6, 2001) that describes providing a 3D representation of the glasses onto a default position with respect to the 3D face model in the manner recited in claim 1?
If so, please submit evidence of that prior art as an answer below. Please submit only one piece of prior art per answer below. We welcome multiple prior art proposals from the same individual, but please create separate answers for each one so the community can vet each individual piece of prior art independently.
For details about what makes good prior art, please see our FAQ. Once you have submitted prior art, check back soon to see if the Ask Patents community has chosen your prior art to be submitted to the United States Patent & Trademark Office. If you'd like to contribute in another way, please vote or comment on submissions made below. And we welcome you to post your own request for prior art if you know of another questionable patent or patent application.
Thanks for participating!