Take the 2-minute tour ×
Ask Patents is a question and answer site for people interested in improving and participating in the patent system. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This patent if for a invention that my father created. And I see that the patent has lapsed due to non-payment of fees. I was wondering how someone can go about obtaining the patent.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

In general, the owner would need to petition the USPTO to allow payment of the maintenance fee late on the grounds of "unavoidable" delay. An alternate reason, "unintentional" delay is easier but cannot be used after two years. In this specific case, the patent would have normally expired in 2012 anyway.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.