Take the 2-minute tour ×
Ask Patents is a question and answer site for people interested in improving and participating in the patent system. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Let's suppose I write a book, (invent a gizmo) a miracle happens, and I get a movie deal (or a manufacturing deal). Can I walk into a real estate title search agency to check on liens and claims against my intellectual property? In other words, if I get sued behind my back how do I locate the court papers?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

Partial Answer: Yes but its a bit tricky - A good transactional lawyer can help you. In the US, ownership of patent rights are typically recorded with the US Patent & Trademark Office in what they call the Assignment Database. However, liens and other security interests might be recorded with the USPTO but they might instead (or also) be recorded locally (in the debtor's location) as would be done with personal property and other intangibles.

Your patents are seen as property interests that can be attached to pay your debts. So, if you owe someone money and you refuse to pay, the court could order a transfer of title of your patent rights.

share|improve this answer
(1) Is there an "Assignment Database" for copyrights? (2) Could you please explain what you mean by the phrase: "recorded locally (in the debtor's location)" –  user10739 Feb 21 at 22:37

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.