Ask Patents is a question and answer site for people interested in improving and participating in the patent system. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I found non-patent literature in the form of a letter to the editor correcting a review article. The correction is on point as 102 art for a currently pending published application which is being currently marketed with a lot of attention given to its novelty. The first examiner rejection did not cite this on point reference which is about 10 years old. Can I bring this to the examiner's attention via Ask Patent instead of a 3rd party submission?

share|improve this question

Unless the Examiner is reading this site, posting prior art here is not going to do much.

I would suggest considering either:

Another dirty trick is to provide a copy of the reference to the patent attorney prosecuting the patent application and/or one or more of the inventors as they have an obligation to bring to the attention of the USPTO any prior art of which they are aware that is material to patentability.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.