I'm looking for prior art for US patent application 2011/0054890 filed 2009/08/25.
That would be a mobile phone (or portable device) that is capable of detecting the direction and type of sounds with the ability to display the results. I've found some art for gun shot detection, but nothing as general as this where the sounds, according to the specification, can include: laughing, crying, traffic, etc.
The representative independent claim and the salient refinements are:
1. An apparatus comprising: at least one processor and at least one memory including computer program code, the at least one memory and the computer program code configured to, with the at least one processor, cause the apparatus at least to:
- identify at least one audio type based on a signal representative of sound;
- determine the direction of any of said identified audio types; and
- provide feed-back to a user of the identified audio types and the direction of said audio types.
2. An apparatus according to claim 1, further comprising at least one audio input, wherein said signal representative of sound is received via said at least one audio input.
3. An apparatus according to claim 2, wherein said at least one audio input port is at least one microphone.
5. An apparatus according to claim 1, further comprising a motion sensor, and said processor uses an output from said motion sensor to determine the direction of the at least one audio type.
6. An apparatus according to claim 1, further comprising a digital compass, and said processor uses an output from said digital compass to determine the direction of the at least one audio type.