Patent application #20120226962 makes the claim:
A computer implemented method for storing data in memory, the method comprising:
- receiving write data to be written into a memory that is logically divided into a plurality of regions, the plurality of regions including a first region and a second region, the first region and the second region implemented by the same memory technology, and the memory subject to degradation as a result of write operations;
- classifying the write data as dynamic data or static data;
- in response to classifying the write data as dynamic data performing: encoding the write data using a first type of encoding;
- and storing the write data encoded using the first type of encoding in the first region of the memory;
- and in response to classifying the write data as static data performing: encoding the write data using a second type of encoding; and storing the write data encoded using the second type of encoding in the second region of the memory.
Isn't this what has been done in the industry and has support in operating systems for several years now? My translation of the above is similar to the description in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling