I mean by public a person, a civilan acting on his or her private time, a user of the web. I am really not aware if I can enter the building being an homeless in San Jose, Ca, USA. I follow the Law at all time; but I am not a member of any group or any companies.

  • I pass in front of it every day... – Simon Boulanger Dec 8 '16 at 3:18
  • What building are you referring to in your question? – Maca Dec 8 '16 at 23:28
  • It would help if you could take another pass on this question. I'm not completely sure what you are asking when you say "buy a patent" (I assume you mean "file a patent") although @DonQuiKong's answer is good, high-level advice. Be aware, the grant of the patent is what you'd ultimately need. If it's a design patent, this will be simple, inexpensive and quick. If it's a utility patent, it will take a few years to find out whether you receive a grant, unless you pay for expedited review. You also want to explore international filing, although that can get very expensive. – DukeZhou Apr 8 '17 at 0:22

A few hundred dollars at first, around 5-8 thousand if you want a patent attorney.

Later the maintenance fees go up, but you can always abandon the patent / application.

  • Adding to DonQuiKong, you probably want to look for a solo practitioner as opposed to a firm, for budgetary reasons (less overhead = lower rates.) In my experience, there are many such attorneys, and they will consult with you at no charge. Also, flat rates are often offered and probably a good idea. – DukeZhou Apr 8 '17 at 0:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.