I have an idea on my mind related to a feature on a mobile that can help someone in their life.

I am outside of the USA. How can I protect my idea and where can I register it so later no mobile company or other people can take it?


1 Answer 1


On your first point, you would typically apply for a patent in your home country first. Within the first year, you would then apply in other countries (such as the US) via Convention applications or alternatively via a PCT application. In this manner, you can protect your invention in whatever countries you deem worthwhile.

You should likely discuss this with a patent attorney in your country. Alternatively, your university may have a IP commercialisation arm which could help.

Your second and third points [edit: that have been edited out of the question as of topic] are off topic for this site (since we only deal with patents). Startups might be a good place to ask though.

  • 1
    After one year or within one year?
    – Eric S
    Commented Mar 7, 2017 at 13:17
  • @EricShain nice catch, should be within the first year
    – user18033
    Commented Mar 7, 2017 at 18:14
  • @Maca I edited your answer, if you don't like it, that's your prob... I mean then I'm sorry, edit it again ;)
    – user18033
    Commented Mar 7, 2017 at 18:18
  • @DonQuiKong Fine by me!
    – Maca
    Commented Mar 8, 2017 at 0:02

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .