I added a co-inventor from a previous patent to a continuation patent application. He felt he should not be named, so didn't send an oath or declaration. I forgot to remove his name, so his name was on the ADS but there was no declaration etc. So now I have a notice of missing parts to file the declaration. He's willing to sign any necessary paperwork. How should I respond? Is it the same process as change of inventorship?

  • You could try calling the patent office.
    – DonQuiKong
    Oct 12 '17 at 12:19
  • I assume you refer to US jurisdiction. This is a highly specialized question you are posing here. Why don't you try this forum:intelproplaw.com/ip_forum (US-based) Oct 12 '17 at 12:21

I took @DonQuiKong's advice and called the USPTO's Pro Se assistance hotline. They advised me to simply file a corrected ADS. It's unclear if there are any fees involved other than for filing the corrected ADS.

  • To follow up, just the miscellaneous processing fees were required ($70 for small entity, $35 for micro-entity), since this correction was before the first office action on the merits.
    – user19945
    Oct 21 '17 at 23:20
  • As an addendum: intelproplaw.com/ip_forum/index.php?topic=28294.0 states that ADS corrections other than inventorship do not require a processing fee if filed before first action on the merits. Aug 2 '19 at 15:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.