I came across a patent that was issued a few days ago: US 9,799,066: System and method for providing commercial functionality from a product data sheet.
The patent describes a process where
- products can be searched for in an ecommerce type system
- When a product is selected, a product page is displayed.
- The product page then displays a link to purchase the product as well as a link to an additional page where further information about the product can be displayed, in the form of a product datasheet (something like a PDF).
- The product datasheet is unmodified.
I'm trying to infer what could be considered novel about this arrangement? From the description it sounds like an ecommerce system, not quite unlike most online retailers, such as Amazon, Walmart, etc.
The first claims:
- A computer-implemented electronic commerce system, comprising: a primary product information display system including a computer processor, memory, an input device and an output device and configured to implement a product ordering method,
including receiving a product search inquiry from the input device,
displaying a plurality of products in a product listing available for purchase through the electronic commerce system based on the product search inquiry on the output device,
receiving a selection of a product from the product listing, and
displaying a first product information page including at least a product name, a product price, general product information, a first product ordering link for accessing a product ordering interface and a product information detail link; and a secondary product information display system configured to display additional information based on a selection of the product information detail link,
including receiving a product datasheet including the product name, the general product information, and product technical information associated with the first product information page;
generating a functional product datasheet including at least one of a second product ordering link for accessing the product ordering interface and an inventory reporting display, without modifying the product datasheet;
modifying the product information detail link prior to displaying the first product information page such that the link redirects from the product datasheet to the functional product datasheet;
receiving the selection of the modified product information detail link; and
displaying the functional product datasheet based on the received selection of the modified product information detail link.