Let's just say,

I filed a Provisional Application in Jan 2019.

I filed a non-provisional in Dec 2019 by claiming priority to the Provisional, properly. But I missed some content in non-provisional that are available in the Provisional.

(1) Can I bring the missed Provisional content to non-provisional by filing amendments? If yes, Is there any deadline? Is there any additional fees I have to pay in USPTO?

(2) If I file a continuation with the missed content, will that be considered as continuation or continuation-in-part (CIP)?


  • 1
    Besides properly claiming priority did you by ant chance also "incorporate by reference"?
    – George White
    Jun 13 '20 at 3:21
  • @GeorgeWhite Yes I did. Jun 13 '20 at 3:23

Since the provisional was incorporated by reference, you can amend in any material from it that you like. And a continuation that only has material from the provisional + the parent will not need to be a CIP. Make sure to also properly claim the benefit of the provisional in the continuation.

  • Thanks Mr. White. You are very helpful.. as usual. Have a nice day :-) Jun 13 '20 at 5:49
  • Can I also amend the claims to protect the content brought from the provisional? Oct 15 '20 at 14:30
  • 1
    Claims needed to be supported by the disclosure. So, yes, if the specification is expanded there may be claims that could be added or expanded.
    – George White
    Oct 15 '20 at 17:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.