Let's just say,

I filed a Provisional Application in Jan 2019.

I filed a non-provisional in Dec 2019 by claiming priority to the Provisional, properly. But I missed some content in non-provisional that are available in the Provisional.

(1) Can I bring the missed Provisional content to non-provisional by filing amendments? If yes, Is there any deadline? Is there any additional fees I have to pay in USPTO?

(2) If I file a continuation with the missed content, will that be considered as continuation or continuation-in-part (CIP)?


  • 1
    Besides properly claiming priority did you by ant chance also "incorporate by reference"?
    – George White
    Commented Jun 13, 2020 at 3:21
  • @GeorgeWhite Yes I did. Commented Jun 13, 2020 at 3:23

1 Answer 1


Since the provisional was incorporated by reference, you can amend in any material from it that you like. And a continuation that only has material from the provisional + the parent will not need to be a CIP. Make sure to also properly claim the benefit of the provisional in the continuation.

  • Thanks Mr. White. You are very helpful.. as usual. Have a nice day :-) Commented Jun 13, 2020 at 5:49
  • Can I also amend the claims to protect the content brought from the provisional? Commented Oct 15, 2020 at 14:30
  • 1
    Claims needed to be supported by the disclosure. So, yes, if the specification is expanded there may be claims that could be added or expanded.
    – George White
    Commented Oct 15, 2020 at 17:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .