What patents are being used by the patent troll Lodsys LLC to go after small iOS developers who take advantage of Apple's in-app purchase functionality?
According to Ars Technica, Lodsys has filed a lawsuit claiming that charter.com, lampsplus.com, corbisimages.com and shop.nordstrom.com infringe upon the following two patents:
- Methods and systems for gathering information from units of a commodity across a network (US7222078)
- Customer-based product design module (US7620565)
Recently, Lodsys has filed further lawsuits against mobile gaming companies including Gameloft and Gamevil, citing patent infringement on those same two patents.
Lodsys has four patents:
- U.S. Patent 5,999,908 (The "908" patent) "Customer-based product design module"
- U.S. Patent 7,133,834 (The "834" patent) "Product Value Information Interchange Server"
- U.S. Patent 7,222,078 (The "078" patent) "Methods and Systems for Gathering Information from Units of a Commodity Across a Network"
- U.S. Patent 7,620,565 (The "565" patent) "Customer-based product design module"